Thursday, January 26, 2012

Over Night Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole

I would like to start this post with a giant THANK YOU to my readers. According to my reported stats, there are more of you than I had originally anticipated from countries all over the world. At first I had just been paying attention to my 8 shown followers and had no idea how many hits I was getting through other websites and email. So welcome to my little online home! Pull up a chair, lets hang out a bit.  I'm so grateful you're here!

Ok, so you probably have it figured out by now that I adore my crock pot. My 1971, avocado green, should-be-on-display-in-a-museum-somewhere crock pot. I use it for dinners, I use it for desserts, I use it for breakfast. Yes, breakfast. When someone invented this amazing tool that allows you to do nothing for a few hours while your meal cooked, you bet your sweet ass that my first choice is to be sleeping during those few hours. So on the days I feel like having a lazy morning, or the contrary days when there are a million things going on, especially durning the holidays,  I set my slow-cooker at night, and wake up to a fresh hot batch of deliciousness already pre-made.

Here is the recipe I use for my breakfast crock pot casserole:

Ingredients:
8-10 strips of bacon
1 onion peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic peeled and minced
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 (2lb) bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns
2 cups shredded cheese
12 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon dried dill weed (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

•Cook the bacon until crisp, let it cool, then chop into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
•On medium-high, saute' onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes. I personally like to saute' them in the bacon grease for more flavor, but that's just how unhealthy and fabulous I like my breakfast sometimes. Totally your call.
•In a greased crock pot, layer 1/3 of the hasbrowns, 1/3 of the onion, bell pepper, garlic mixture, 1/3 of the bacon, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.

In large bowl, mix eggs, milk, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over ingredients in crock pot, cover, and turn on low for 8-10 hours while you dream of unicorns and 4 leaf clovers.

Over Night Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment